David M. Bentley, dba BENTEQ, is a real estate developer, investment manager and consultant with over 40 years of experience in land use entitlement, subdivision development, residential and commercial real estate, asset management, syndication, valuation and financial advisory. His success as a litigant, case manager and expert witness in connection with land use entitlements and business disputes has provided David with extraordinary knowledge and skills in the areas of real estate law, business law and dispute resolution. Overall, David has sourced, acquired, sponsored, developed, managed, defended, appraised, brokered, marketed, leased, sold and/or exchanged virtually every type of real property across several U.S. states.
Real Estate Development requires the ability to envision new projects and the aptitude and perseverance to get them built. The Developer orchestrates the entire development process, from concept to completion. Developers may be one individual who outsources tasks and coordinates the work of a multi-discipline team of professionals, or a large firm that handles everything in house. The Developer must have knowledge of every process, phase and service involved, including business entity formation and operation, property sourcing and acquisitions, economic and market analysis, finance, land use entitlements, environmental permits, design, infrastructure, public and government relations, negotiations, marketing, leasing, sales, transactions, contracts and legal procedures. Development is a dynamic, capital intensive business with a steep learning curve and extraordinary risk. The Developer is the first to put equity in the project and the last one to get paid.
CONSULTING & MANAGEMENT
BENTEQ’s Consulting and Management Services include limited scope, shorter duration assignments and comprehensive, longer duration projects. Partners and Clients served:
* Property Owners & Investors
* Attorneys, CPAs, Trustees
* Financial Planners & Investment Advisors
* Homebuilders & Commercial developers
* Banks, Private equity, LPs & LLCs
Specific Services & Expertise:
* Property Sourcing and Acquisitions
* Economic & Market Analysis
* Due-diligence, Valuations and DCF
* Structuring, drafting and negotiating transaction and entity agreements
* Land Use Planning, Entitlements and Development Management includes subdivision maps, infrastructure financing districts, grading and building permits, environmental impact mitigation and permits pursuant to NEPA, ESA, CWA, CEQA, AZDEQ; USF&WS-HMP; USACE 404, CAF&W 1602, RWQCB 401.
* Subdivision public reports, HOA, CC&Rs
* REO resolution & Impaired asset repositioning and redevelopment
* Brokerage; leasing, purchase, sales and IRC section 1031 exchanges
* Estate planning, tax strategy, portfolio management and financial advisory.
Since the mid 1990s, David's career has been primarily focussed on land development and investment. He began his real estate career in sales and has been a licensed real estate broker since 1984. He earned his Certified Commercial Investment Member designation in 1987 and completed the Appraisal Institute-MAI candidacy program while working as an independent fee appraiser (DRE Licensed CGREA) in the early 90s. As an appraiser, David supported federally regulated banks and the RTC (ref. FIRREA) in resolving the massive REO and insolvency problems arising from the Savings & Loan crisis. The knowledge, skills and experience David acquired as a real estate broker, appraiser and “work-out” consultant provided the ideal theoretical and practical foundation for his multi-decade development and investment management career. In order to support the complex financial and estate planning needs of his partners, clients and HNW property owners, David completed the Chartered Financial Consultant program through the American College of Financial Services and earned his ChFC designation on 2021.
Master Plan Project - Acquisition, Planning, Entitlement & Disposition
Land Development - Custom Home Lots - & my Dad - Adjacent to the Coronado National Forest